Friday, April 2, 2010

Small Basket Woven from Flyers (seen on Instructables)

For those of you who have never heard about it, there is a really awesome website called Instructables that I check out every now and then. Well I was browsing the website and saw a fun idea for weaving a newspaper basket. Could end up being useless I know, but it was a fun idea. I made mine with some flyers that had just come in the mail.

The bobby pins in the picture were used to hold the pieces together while I was weaving them. I used a hot glue gun to glue it together instead of Elmers white glue or a glue stick as those methods take a lot longer to set. The strips are 1/2 inch wide.


I tucked the edges back in to keep it clean looking. The Instructable tutorial shows a scalloped edge but I liked this better.

I painted it a fresh white to make it look less homely.

A basket like this could be dressed up with some ribbon and used to hold pens or a variety of other things. Mine is currently empty and unadorned as I prefer that look. I am still unsure as to what I will actually do with it.......

What do you suggest I do with this basket?
Send me links to your photos if you make your own, happy recycling!

2 comments:

Danielle Chute said...

Hey Lydia,
I wanted to make this, but could not locate it on the website :( is there a way you could post a direct like to the instructions?
Danielle Chute

Unknown said...

Here it is:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fruit-Basket/

I have also changes the link in the actual post, hopefully it works out!