Monday, February 21, 2011

A Belated Happy St. Valentine's Day! & Cheap Books


So I realize that Valentines Day has been over for more than a week now but I still wanted to post about it. Aren surprised me with some roses that morning. We were planning on going out to do some shopping because I had just realized that all of the old classic novels which I loved didn't belong to me. They were my sister's or my mother's and quite frankly my fiction collection was lacking. Ok, basically it was non-existent.
While I was in the shower getting ready to go out searching for books he snuck out of the house and bought me these really pretty flowers.



I purchased a bottle of champagne this year and we shared a glass while watching a really lame romantic movie. I don't like them very much but I guess if you are going to bother watching one it might as well be on Valentine's Day.
You must think I forgot all about the books .... au contrair .....
We first went to Goodwill on our search because although there is a great used book store in town I figured that since my list was so large (185+) I would need to save every penny I could in order to acquire them all.
I can tell you I am sure glad that we went to Goodwill first. The bookshelves were filled with books on my list as well as others which I had forgotten to add to it. This trip was like hitting the jackpot, especially when the hardcover cost $3.99 and the paperback cost $2.49. The Children's books were even cheaper at $1.49 for hardcover and $0.99 for paperback. Amazing.
In the end we bought quite a few.....

 
(this is a close up so you can better read some of the titles)
We did also visit the used book store as there were many of the books I wanted which weren't at Goodwill. Of course the prices were a lot higher and I only bought a couple from the store.
Gradually I hope to be able to buy/receive all of the books on my list. I'm sure there are those of you out there who couldn't imagine buying/owning so many books but in our family they are treasured possessions.
When I have a chance I will be sure to post a list of all of the books I am aiming to obtain for my fiction collection. I'm sure it will take a long time though as they will not all be available for $2.50 and the list will be revised as new books are printed/discovered.
I would love to hear about what you are reading or if you have any suggestions to add to my library.
Ciao!


4 comments:

Pris said...

Lovely. Simply lovely. Oh...the flowers are nice too! Did you say you have some of my books???? Which ones? I am hoping to have my library completed downstairs this Spring, it will be amazing!
PS I love the picture in the background of your flower shots, when did you do it?

Unknown said...

Hahaha, no I didn't say I have some of your books - I said I realized that all of the books I like are owned by you or mother. Meaning that I do not have them in my possession at all. Which makes me sad :(

Anonymous said...

Dear Lydia:

I read your blog from Mexico City.

it´s awesome!

Regards

Nick:Sam Seidel

Unknown said...

Thanks!